Friday, September 29, 2017

Beverley J Elgar Artwork on Display at Kent Public Library



                                      Works by Beverley J Elgar  
“Drawing is the root of everything…” Vincent Van Gogh 

My work represents the fragmentation of history, space and time, which are amalgamated with
a feeling, experience, memory, or place I’ve visited.  These are combined to create a conflict
between chaos and order, which are often repeated, altered, and disjointed.  

I am a British born American artist, and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Visual
Arts, Magna Cum Laude from the State University of New York at Purchase College in 2006.  I
was born in Staines, an industrial town on the edge of London in 1971. 

After my parents divorced in 1977, my mother, three sisters and I moved north to the county of Cambridgeshire.

Drawing has been an integral part of my life since early childhood.  Growing up with a makeshift
darkroom in the kitchen, it’s in my genes to draw and photograph the world around me. 
Singing and dancing is in my blood also; remembering the stories my mother shared with me
about her performing on stage among famous British acts, such as comedian, Tommy Cooper.

I immigrated to the United States from England in 2000 and have settled in the scenic Mid
Hudson Valley region of New York with my husband, two daughters, and four cats.  My house
and studio overlook a lake, which inspires my creativity. 

As well as making art, nature and wildlife conservation is my passion, and I consider the birds and mammals in which I live among, my extended family too!  I am a member of several conservation groups, including the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and FrOGS (Friends of the Great Swamp).

In my work, I apply bold and dramatic line to abstract subjects, which are often overlooked.  I’m
rarely seen without a sketchbook, and am always drawing from life, or my imagination.  I am
drawn to light and shadow, and fascinated with shapes, and how they are often repeated, or
connected throughout the synthetic, and natural environment.

In my studio, I have a handmade doll house, which I continually use as a reference for many of my works.  I utilize my background in photography, and British heritage to create a mostly monochromatic color palette.  The cool and vibrant use of blues, oranges and browns are prominent in many of my works too, which correlate with the architecture and climate of the East of England, and the interior furnishings I grew up with. 

Currently, I am making works in textile, and am in the process of applying to go back to school to study for an A.A.S in Fashion Design and Technology, where I will learn many aspects of textile design, with a strong emphasis in Entrepreneurship.