Thursday, February 28, 2019

Vincent Johnston Artwork on Display at Kent Public Library





ARTIST STATEMENT:

After a long twenty-five year break I started painting again in 2014. Years ago I worked using mostly geometric shapes and frequently used only black and white paint. 

So when I started up again I initially went back to what I had been doing. That is, until an artist friend commented that I needed to add some color to what I was working on. At first I resisted, but soon was trying colors I'd never worked with before.

I also started to combine geometric shapes with heavy body acrylic paint that I would "mush" with balled up aluminum foil. These pieces showed the influence that Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollock had on me.

In 2017 I was diagnosed with cancer and my work took a decidedly Pollock turn. I started doing what I call "splats". Some of these are done on canvas with just a background color and others are combined with geometric shapes. Working like this is very cathartic and powerful for me.

The pieces in this presentation are examples of my current work, and it is my hope that people viewing them will be able to sense the energy and emotion.

I'd like to thank the Kent Library and Jeanette Rodriguez for the opportunity to show my work, and welcome any feedback.