Tuesday, November 3, 2015

November Exhibit

Karen Madden
Fiber Artist
Rock and A Soft Place Studio 

"Entwined"

"I have worked with fiber since I was a girl, inspired by my mother and grandmother who were accomplished seamstresses and upholsters.  My mother taught me to make my own clothes and to use fiber and fabric for interior design in furniture upholstery, draperies, and décor accents.  My enjoyment of working with fiber has grown over time and I have a deep appreciation for my mother’s influence on what I do today.

As an fiber artist of my own design, I have the freedom to transcend boundaries of traditional fiber art and welcome in new and creative ways of utilizing materials and techniques.  I begin most of my designs with wool because of the earthy nature of it.   Wool is a renewable resource and has been used for clothing and adornment for thousands of years.   Using it as an artistic medium highlights its versatility.  As man-made fibers become more exotic, incorporating them into my designs adds a modern element of color and texture.  To challenge my boundaries of creativity, I break away from traditional techniques by adding non-fiber materials such as metal, stone, beads.  Many would consider these materials inharmonious with soft fiber, but I see them as a way to add depth and dimension to my wall hangings.

Inspiration for my designs comes from the world around me.  An idea might spring forth from the view on a hike or from a conversation with a friend.  The challenge I have is to make the idea come alive in fiber.  I invite people to enjoy my work for the beauty that I see in it as I’m creating it.  Fiber is an insulating material which brings warmth to my soul and energizes me and I work to extend that warmth and energy into each of my pieces.

My studio, located in Poughquag, NY, is called “Rock and A Soft Place” which I share with my husband, Bob who is a stone sculptor."

Follow me by liking Rock And A Soft Place Studio on FaceBook at:
www.facebook.com/Rock-and-A-Soft-Place-Studio/

And see more of my work at:
www.rockandasoftplace.com

Contact the artist for more information:
Karen@rockandasoftplace.com
845.206.3298
All works are for sale